You are automatically covered by the NHS life assurance from the day you join the NHS Pension Scheme.
- If you die in pensionable employment the Scheme will pay a lump sum equal to 2 years’ reckonable pay provided you have not drawn down any of your pension.
- Pensions to surviving partners can be paid to a legal spouse or registered civil partner or a nominated qualifying partner.
- A survivors’ pension for your legal spouse, civil partner or nominated qualifying partner is payable for life.
- The survivors’ pension will be 37.5% of your own pension and there are also allowances for dependent children.
- If you have less than 2 years membership when you die, your spouse/partner will get a short term pension of 6 months.
- If you have more than 2 years membership when you die, your spouse/partner will get short term pension of 6 months and then a survivor’s pension payable for life.